Thursday, July 31, 2014

Financial Review - July, 2014

July was another positive month for my investments.

Net worth moved higher as gains in my equities equities and rental income were enough to overcome living expenses and marginally unfavourable FX movements. Expenses were high.

Here are the details:

1. my Hong Kong equity portfolio appreciated. There were no Hong Kong transactions this month, but I received a number of dividends (mostly in cash, but I did take scrip for COSCO Pacific);

2. my AU/NZ equities appreciated. There were no purchases this month;

3.my equity ETFs were up (India, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China) in line with the local markets. There were no new purchases;

4. my commodities were flat. Silver is my only position;

5. the properties are at full occupancy and all tenants are paying on time. There was only one minor repair this month;

6. currency movements were slightly adverse with a small fall in the NZD. The AUD was flat;

7. my position in bonds remains small and got smaller with two bonds maturing this month;

8. expenses were low. I purchased a few cases of en primeur wine;

9. there were no transfers to Mrs Traineeinvestor this month.

My cash position incased slightly. I currently hold 47.5 months of expenses in HKD cash or equivalents. It was one of those months when holding any cash feels like a lost opportunity (I know, I know - I have to hold enough cash to cover living expenses for a few years).

For July, my net worth rose by 2.74%. The year to date increase is 6.49%.

No comments: