Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day - and hating it

As Ebeneezer Scrooge might have said; bah, humbug!

Valentine's Day is one of my least favourite days of the year - it's right up there with filing tax returns and the annual visit to the dentist (which is considerably cheaper). The senseless exploitation of (mostly) men in the interests of enriching florists and restaurateurs has to be one of the most effective ways to build resentment and kill romance ever devised. It's as good a method of encouraging family planning as I've come across.

As usual, I will not be letting myself be gouged for overpriced flowers. However, we will be going out for dinner tonight ... we managed to find a place where we can enjoy a quiet meal together without being irked by an over-the-top price tag.

And yes, I am very grateful that Mrs Traineeinvestor's views on Valentine's Day are the same as mine.

No comments: