Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The anecdotal recession (2)

More evidence of the recession has hit me.

I go to a gym three days a week (OK, I try to go to the gym three days a week). The gym I use was selected because it is close to the office (any further and distance would reduce the likelihood of using it) and my then employer negotiated a good discount on the membership fees (it was cheap). The gym provides full service - shirt, shorts, socks, towels, shaving cream, disposable razors etc etc. This made life very convenient - all I needed was my running shoes and an alarm clock to get out of bed in the morning.

Things have changed. With no notice to members, the disposable razors and shaving cream have gone (turning up to work unshaven earned me a few funny looks) and there have been no socks on my last four visits. Small things, but indicative of people either trying to cut costs or being forced to.

No comments: