Friday, July 14, 2006

My record keeping is a shambles

When I set out to review the abillity of the private portfolio to withstand an economic downturn, the first part (the review of the Hong Kong property portfolio) was easy. However, when I sat down to review the rest of the private portfolio I had a problem. I have an incomplete picture of what I own, only a rough idea of my exposure to various asset classes and could not remember what some of my investments cost. It also occured to me that I do not know how much I save each year (or month) both in dollar and percentage terms and have not done a net worth calculation since the end of 2005.

This is not acceptable. So over the next few days I will be going through the bank statements etc and creating a few spreadsheets to work out some of these matters.

No comments: